Selah Downtown Association (SDA) launched the first annual Downtown Beautification Grant Program in March 2017. SDA invites any downtown business owner or community group to apply for matching grant funds for beautification projects and improvements in downtown Selah.
SDA is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization and member of the Washington State Main Street Program. SDA's mission is to develop and promote downtown Selah as the community's social, cultural and economic center. The Downtown Beautification Grant Program is administered by the SDA Design Committee in order to enhance the appearance of the downtown district.
1. Who is eligible to apply?
a. The Downtown Beautification Grant Program (hereinafter "grant program") is open to building owners, business owners and 501(c)(3) non-profits organizations (hereinafter "applicants") for costs associated with beautification projects in the "First Street Corridor," between Southern Avenue and Bartlett Avenue, extending west to 3rd Street and east to Railroad Avenue. (Please reference grant program area map.)
b. If a property is owned, leased or currently under contract by a party other than the applicant, all parties included on the deed, lease or contract must agree in writing to the proposed project.
c. Applicants may apply for grant funding for projects at multiple downtown locations.
2. What type of projects are eligible to receive grant funding?
a. Projects intended to permanently improve the outward appearance of a building or other area in downtown Selah visible from the public right-of-way will be considered.
b. Eligible projects may include building design improvements, landscaping, painting, the restoration of buildings or other public spaces, murals, public art installations, or similar projects.
Grant Funds Available
1. The total amount of funding available through the grant program will be determined on an annual basis by SDA and may fluctuate from year to year. Funding may be awarded to multiple applicants.
2. Applicants may receive funding through the grant program up to 50% (matching) of approved project costs to an amount awarded not to exceed $500.00.
1. The applicant has 15 days from the date of acceptance of the grant award to commence work on the approved project.
2. Projects must be completed with 45 days from the date of the award of funding. SDA may choose to withdraw funding from projects not completed within 45 days, in which case the applicant would forfeit any right to reimbursement for project expenses.
3. Any changes in the project plan without written approval from the SDA Design Committee renders the award void. In such case, the applicant forfeits any right to reimbursement for project expenses and bears the full cost of the project.
Application Period & Schedule
1. The grant program application deadline is Friday, April 21st. Applications may be emailed to email@example.com, or mailed or delivered to: Selah Downtown Association, 115 W. Naches Ave., Selah, WA 98942. Applications will be reviewed by the SDA Design Committee, and all applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application by April 30, 2017.
2. Application process:
a. Applicants are encouraged to contact SDA to discuss project details prior to submitting a grant application.
b. After the application period closes, the SDA Design Committee will make a final decision on the number of grants and amount of funding awarded to selected projects. Applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application no later than April 30, 2017.
c. Successful applicants must sign a notarized final Program Agreement Form that includes the amount of funding awarded.
d. Within 15 days of completion, applicants must submit photographs of the project, including "before" and "after" photographs, as well as photographs documenting the project at various stages of work. Photographs may be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
e. Within 15 days of completion, applicants must submit copies of all receipts associated with the project to confirm payment of project expenses. The Design Committee will review the receipts and make a recommendation for payment of the approved amount of funding to the SDA board of directors.
f. Upon approval by the SDA board of directors, a reimbursement check will be presented to the applicant equal to 50% of the approved project expenses up to the amount of funding awarded. The re-imbursement check will be addressed to the applicant(s) named on the grant application form.
g. SDA, by and through the Design Committee, is responsible for administering the grant program. SDA is solely responsible for overseeing the review of all applications, awarding grants, and authorizing the final disbursement of funding to selected applicants assuming their compliance with the rules and regulations stated herein.
The complete application package submitted for consideration must include the following forms and documents:
a. Completed Business Façade Improvement Grant Program application;
b. A detailed description of the proposed project and intended impact.
c. "Before" photographs of the building, business or area of the proposed project.
d. Cost estimates of materials needed.